How I fell in love with my hometown all over again

by - August 03, 2017


As the life goes, we often take the things surrounding us for granted and completely forget to appreciate them. Since I’ve been living abroad and go home merely for holidays I’ve started to see my hometown through the eyes of a tourist and I’m appreciating its charm much more than when I was young. Bratislava with its area of 367km2 and population of over 420 thousand citizens is the capital of Slovakia. It’s a small city and even though it probably isn’t one of the most beautiful ones, I’m proud to call it mine. I was born in this town, grew up here and despite my time in Edinburgh I always love coming back.

Last week I was showing my friend from Estonia the attractions of Bratislava. After years I got to see the Bratislava Castle or the St. Martins Cathedral from the inside again. We also visited the Devin Castle and admired the beautiful view from Slavin. I enjoyed it tremendously and was reassured that Bratislava has a lot to offer! My adoration for nostalgic reunions with various flavors, which I know never disappoint, always leads me to my favorite locals when I’m home and I indulge myself with a cheesecake from Lucette, parmesan potatoes in St. Germain, burger in BeAbout, traditional Slovak dish halušky (potato dumplings with special Slovak goat cheese called bryndza and roasted bacon) at Dunajska street and newly also ice-cream right from a chimney cake. Afterwards, I tend to just simply walk through the streets with a sentimental smile on my face observing all the little changes, discovering new places and admiring the good old streets from which I have so many memories. I like the contrasts of this city – here it’s modern and there it’s like it slept through time, you can find traditional Slovak atmosphere here but it also offers a multicultural area marked by communism, it’s a city loathed by Slovak countryside and at the same time a denounced village by big cities. Despite/because of that I love it, it’s beautiful and I feel myself at home here like no where else.


What’s your hometown like? Have you had a chance to look at it through the eyes of a tourist? Slow down and enjoy its uniqueness? (scroll down for photos)



Ako som sa zaľúbila do môjho rodného mesta

Ako to už býva, to čo máme okolo seba každý deň berieme často ako samozrejmosť a zabúdame si to vážiť. Od kedy žijem v zahraničí a domov chodím len na prázdniny, pozerám sa na svoje rodné mesto tak trochu turistickými očami a vážim si jeho čaro oveľa viac ako keď som tu bývala. Bratislava je hlavné mesto Slovenska, má rozlohu 367km2 a vyše 420 tisíc obyvateľov. Je to malé mesto a síce asi nepatrí k tým najkrajším na svete, ja ho hrdo volám moje. Tu som sa narodila, vyrastala a hoci dospievam v Edinburgu vraciam sa domov rada.

Minulý týždeň som kamarátke z Estónska ukazovala krásy Bratislavy. Po rokoch som si opäť pozrela Bratislavský hrad či Dóm sv. Martina aj z vnútra, navštívili sme Devínsky hrad a kochali sa výhľadom zo Slavína. Veľmi som si to užívala a len ma to utvrdilo v tom, že to čo Bratislava ponúka vôbec nie je na zahodenie!
Zbožňujem nostalgické stretnutia s chuťami, ktoré viem že nikdy nesklamú a tak vždy keď som doma doprajem si cheesecake v Lucette, parmesánové zemiačiky v St Germain, burger v BeAbout-e, pravé slovenské halušky na Dunajskej a po novom aj zmrzlinu priamo z trdelníku. Potom kráčam ulicami a zisťujem čo sa kde zmenilo, objavujem nové miesta a s úsmevom obdivujem staré známe uličky, ku ktorým sa mi viaže nespočetne veľa spomienok. Užívam si protiklady tohto mesta – je miestami moderné inde akoby zaspalo v čase, nájdete tu tradične slovenskú atmosféru ale ponúka aj komunizmom poznačené multikultúrne prostredie, je to slovenským vidiekom neznášané mesto a veľkomestami odsudzovaná dedina. Ale napriek/kvôli tomu je tu krásne, cítim sa tu dobre a doma tak ako nikde inde na svete.

Aké je vaše rodné mesto? Mali ste už možnosť pozrieť sa naň turistickými očami? Spomaliť a užívať si jeho jedinečnosť?















 






 

 








 


































You May Also Like

0 comments